Podcast – Season two
An outline of episodes in season two of the podcast of the urban mystic.
In Season Two of the podcast of the urban mystic we speak to fellow deconstructors about their first experience of God, their calling to ministry, deconstruction, and ongoing contributions. These are authentic and live conversations with real people. They are vulnerable and richly nuanced. We hope you enjoy listening to them as much as we enjoyed having them.
- Episode 13: Introduction and overview of season two (Oct 9 2020). We’re super excited to back with Season 2! In this episode Tim and Steve chat about the upcoming season and introduce our guests. This is the season of deconstructors. We hope you enjoy listening to these conversations as much as we enjoyed having them. Listen here.
- Episode 14: Deconstructing with Christopher Harrison (Oct 15 2020). Our guest tonight is a retired Methodist Minister who now works as Missions Coordinator supporting churches to establish new forms of church for our changing culture and a missional coach enabling people to find new ways to grow disciples to make disciples. Join us as we get to know Christopher Harrison. Listen here.
- Episode 15 & 16: Deconstructing with Dion Forster (Oct 22 2020). Our guest for two episodes is an academic for the church active engaging church, state, economic, and race relations. Join us as we get to know Dion Forster. In part 1 we explore his early early experience of God and career in ministry. In Part 2 of our conversation with Dion Forster. Here both Tim and Dion push back at each other over the institution of the church and whether it is necessary or relevant. It is an example of the points of agreement and difference between around the necessity of the institution of the church and why many really understand it to be essential. Listen to part 1 here and part 2 here.
- Episode 17: Deconstructing calling and ministry (Oct 23 2020). Our first two guests process their calling and redefine their careers in ministry. In this bonus episode, Tim and Steve reflect on their experience of calling and deconstruct ministry as a narrow career mostly in tune with the business of doing church. Listen here.
- Episode 18: Deconstructing spirituality and entering new terrain (Oct 23 2020). Our first two guests note there to be a tension between one’s calling and preparation for a career focused on doing church. Here Tim and Steve deconstruct spirituality and discuss their journey into new terrain as deconstructors. Listen here.
- Episode 19 & 20: Deconstructing with Richard Jacobson (Oct 29 2020). Our guest for two episodes has a TED Talk, explainer videos, books, blogs and a podcast. You can find links to everything at unchurching.com. Join us as we deconstruct with Richard Jacobson. In this episode we explore his early early experience of God and career in ministry. Listen part 1 here and part 2 here.
- Episode 21 & 22: Deconstructing with John van der Laar (Nov 5 2020). Our guest for two episodes is a writer, musician, public speaker, composer, poet, liturgist, graphic and web designer with a Masters Degree in Theology. He recently resigned from serving as a Methodist minister. He has over 40 years of experience in spiritual practice and ministry seeking to establish a new kind of spiritual community that breaks free of the limitations of geography and specific times for the community to gather. EvoFaith turns spiritual practice into an on-demand, 24/7, global experience. You can find out more about EvoFaith and get to know John van de Laar through our conversation over two episodes. Listen to part 1 here and part 2 here.
- Episode 23: Deconstructing the institution of the church (Nov 9 2020). Our first two guests process their calling and redefine their careers in ministry while our next two guest, Richard Jacobson and John van de Laar, deconstruct the institution of the Church. In this bonus episode, Tim and Steve reflect on those conversations and their own journey as deconstructors seeking an alternative to Church as we know it. Listen here.
- Episode 24 & 25: Deconstructing with Brian D McLaren (Nov 12 2020). This is part one of two episodes with an author of several books including “A new kind of Christianity”, “Faith after doubt”, “The secret message of Jesus”, and “The great spiritual migration”. Brian D. McLaren is an author, speaker, activist, and public theologian. A former college English teacher and pastor, he is a passionate advocate for “a new kind of Christianity” – just, generous, and working with people for the common good. Join us as we get to know Brian McLaren and find out more on www.brianmclaren.net. Listen here.
- Episode 26: Deconstructing with David Hayward (Nov 19 2020). Our guest for this episode is the author of several books, hosts a number of courses, and creates a cartoon every day. He holds a Masters in Theological Studies, as well as Diploma in Religious Studies and Ministry, and University Teaching. His art expresses the stories and struggles of spiritual refugees and independent thinkers who question, doubt or oppose the confines of religion. Each piece encourages difficult conversations and acts as a catalyst for critical thinking. David Hayward is the NakedPastor. After 30 years in the church, he left the ministry to pursue his passion for art. His work challenges the status quo, deconstructs dogma, and promotes critical thinking. Find out more on https://www.nakedpastorstore.com/. Listen here.
- Episode 27 & 28: Deconstructing with John Eliastam (Nov 26 2020). Our guest for two episodes is the visionary behind a national worship event called the Newsong Festival and planted the Newsong Vineyard Christian Fellowship which used to meet at the River Club in Observatory, Cape Town. Newsong was untypically progressive and successfully homed people in their 20s and 30s during a period where this demographic was unlikely to stay in church. He went on to pastor Kenilworth Vineyard Christian Fellowship untill 2010. Join us for our conversation with John Eliastam. Listen to part 1 here and part 2 here.
- Episode 29 & 30: Deconstructing with Natalie Simmons (Dec 3 2020). Our guest for two episodes is a former pastor. She has been married nearly 25 years and has 3 sons. She has taught English for the past 12 years in both junior and high school. She loves reading fiction more than non-fiction. Join us as we get to know Natalie Simmons. Find out more by reading her blog You can read her blog http://nataliesimmons-eanutbutterandhoney.blogspot.com. Listen to part 1 here and part 2 here.
- Episode 31 & 32: Deconstructing with Julie McVey (Dec 10 2020). Our guest for two episodes is the author of “Why I left the church to find Jesus: A personal odyssey“. She has worked in a church running women’s ministries and as a worship leader. She now supports others in their journey of deconstruction. Join us to get to know Julie McVey. Julie’s book is available online at Amazon and connect with her via her website. Listen to part 1 here and part 2 here.
- Episode 33: Accepting Deconstruction and Rejecting Deconstructors (Dec 14 2020). In this bonus episode Tim and Steve explore the acceptance of deconstruction as valuable to communities and the rejection of deconstructors as the norm. Its a tragic reality that believing, behaving and belonging come as a package. The result is that institutionalism and the control of people takes precedence of their growth, exploration, and evolution. Listen here.
- Episode 34: Wandering in the urban desert (Dec 14 2020). The final three guests all deconstruct as persona and people. Yet there is a depth in their sharing as individuals no longer speaking on behalf or for a group. This is the human face of deconstruction, the felt depth of living, and the vibrant and lively spirituality of those wandering in the urban desert. Listen here.